Property owners and renters have a full plate when it comes to dealing with problems. Property damage, missed rent payments, screening prospective tenants, insurance… The list is never-ending, it seems. Like it or not, there’s one more thing you’ll need to add to the list: carbon monoxide poisoning. Besides being a liability issue, the safety of your tenants is at stake. Carbon monoxide poisoning, without a doubt, is not something that you can simply ignore.
The first step in addressing this potential problem is understanding exactly what you’re dealing with. Carbon monoxide is a gas that can occur either naturally or through man-made processes; car exhaust is a commonly known example of the latter. When man-made structures burn oil (as in the car exhaust example), oil, or coal, carbon monoxide may be emitted into the environment. However, it should also be noted that this gas also occurs naturally, such as when people exhale.
For property owners and renters, the greatest concern will be the carbon monoxide that comes from stoves, gas ranges, and heating systems. The main issue here is that people and animals can inhale the gas while they are in enclosed areas within the property. The carbon monoxide can build up in the enclosed space without anybody realizing it because this gas is both colorless and odorless. To make matters worse, carbon monoxide is poisonous and can cause sudden illness or even death in some instances. One of your tenants could be exposed to the gas while sleeping and die from carbon monoxide poisoning, and you might be held accountable in a court of law.
So, preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is not only the tenants’ concern; it’s the property owner’s concern, too. You’ll be glad to know, though, that it only takes a few steps to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from occurring on your property. For starters, you’ll want to have a qualified, licensed technician service the property’s heating system as well as any water heaters at least once per year. Appliances that burn coal, oil, or gas should also be inspected and serviced. Along with regular inspections, sufficient ventilation is key to prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning. This means that gas appliances need to be fully vented and chimneys (if you have them) should be checked for debris or other blockage. Furthermore, it is critical that carbon monoxide detectors be installed near all sleeping areas, preferably five feet above the floor. Meanwhile, tenants should be instructed about carbon monoxide poisoning prevention; for example, they should be told not to allow motor vehicles to run in enclosed areas, and they should also be instructed never to use a gas kitchen stove to heat the home.
Preventing carbon monoxide is not overly complicated or burdensome, and it will help property owners in their efforts to keep their property and tenants safe. If you would like assistance with this and other issues pertaining to property management in Grand Rapids, MI and the surrounding areas, you can call Access Property Management Group at (616) 301-9450 or visit our website at https://www.accesspmgroup.com/ anytime. We know the business of property management inside and out, from eviction protection to emergency maintenance to marketing and so much more. Access Property Management Group can provide these services so you can earn more and worry less about your property. We’re ready to find the right property management solution for you, so let us know how we can assist you today.