Rental Approval Criteria
Background | Credit | Rental History
Our Screening Process
- Applications are processed in the order they are received with all required documents and information
- An application cannot be approved until all aspects of the screening policy have been completed and reviewed by the property manager
- Housing is on a first-come, first-served basis, therefore we do not hold units until the application is approved and a deposit payment is made
- When an application is approved or denied, we will contact you
- Denied applicants will also receive an “Adverse Action Letter” via email to the email address listed on the application explaining why the application was denied
- Each applicant is required to provide two (2) months of paystubs from employer as proof of income.
- If employment is to begin shortly, applicant must provide an offer letter on company letterhead
- If applicant lists another source of income, they are required to provide proof of that income
- Self-employed applicants – must submit previous years filed tax return for income verification
- If an applicant does not demonstrate the ability to pay rent based on their income, a cosigner may be required (see Guarantor Requirements)
- If a Guarantor is not available, the applicant may pay the entire lease term at move-in to be approved.
- Credit score must be at least 600
- If applicant has "no credit score", a positive landlord reference may be used instead. Applicant must still meet all other criteria shown here.
- Monthly income must be at least two and a half times the monthly rent amount
- No bankruptcies or foreclosures within the past 2 years.
- No more than 3 accounts in collection
- No more than $1,250 past due debt (medical bills and student loans disregarded).
- No evictions within the past 7 years.
- No outstanding utility collections or unpaid utility bills
- No balances owed to any prior Landlords
- No Sex-Offenders subject to lifetime registration on the Sex Offender Registry
- No criminal convictions related to the manufacture and/or distribution of a controlled substance
- Per HUD criminal screening guidelines, no criminal history "that indicates a demonstrable risk to resident safety and/or property"
- All screening criteria is the same except that Monthly income must be at least equal to the monthly rent amount
- Credit score must be at least 700
- No more than one item in collection
- No more than $500 past due debt (medical bills and student loans disregarded)
- No bankruptcies or foreclosures within the past 7 years
- If no guarantor is available, prepayment of all rents and deposits for the entire lease period is required in order to be approved
City of Kalamazoo
- Evictions will be carefully considered based on the amount of time since an actual eviction and the reason for the eviction.
- For Section 8, monthly income must be at least equal to the amount required to pay for utilities.