Rental Approval Criteria
Background | Credit | Rental History
Our Screening Process
- Applications are processed in the order they are received with all required documents and information
- An application cannot be approved until all aspects of the screening policy have been completed and reviewed by the property manager
- Housing is on a first-come, first-served basis, therefore we do not hold units until the application is approved and a deposit payment is made
- When an application is approved or denied, we will contact you
- Denied applicants will also receive an “Adverse Action Letter” via email to the email address listed on the application explaining why the application was denied
- Each applicant is required to provide two (2) months of paystubs from employer as proof of income.
- If employment is to begin shortly, applicant must provide an offer letter on company letterhead
- If applicant lists another source of income, they are required to provide proof of that income
- Self-employed applicants – must submit previous years filed tax return for income verification
- If an applicant does not demonstrate the ability to pay rent based on their income, a cosigner may be required (see Guarantor Requirements)
- If a Guarantor is not available, the applicant may pay the entire lease term at move-in to be approved.
- Credit score must be at least 600
- If applicant has "no credit score", a positive landlord reference may be used instead. Applicant must still meet all other criteria shown here.
- Monthly income must be at least two and a half times the monthly rent amount
- No bankruptcies or foreclosures within the past 2 years.
- No more than 3 accounts in collection
- No more than $1,250 past due debt (medical bills and student loans disregarded).
- No evictions within the past 7 years.
- No outstanding utility collections or unpaid utility bills
- No balances owed to any prior Landlords
- No Sex-Offenders subject to lifetime registration on the Sex Offender Registry
- No criminal convictions related to the manufacture and/or distribution of a controlled substance
- Per HUD criminal screening guidelines, no criminal history "that indicates a demonstrable risk to resident safety and/or property"
- All screening criteria is the same except that Monthly income must be at least equal to the monthly rent amount
- Applicants who are using a Section 8 voucher or other assistance must include the RFTA packet with their application documents and indicate on the application that they are using Section 8. Applications will not be considered complete if the RFTA paperwork is not included. Approved applicants who are using a subsidy voucher (Section 8 or any other rent/deposit assistance) may place a holding fee equal to one month’s rent to reserve a unit only AFTER the required subsidy/assistance inspections have been completed on the property and the required repairs/modifications have been accepted by the owner/landlord and/or manager.
- Once the inspection has been accepted and the holding fee has been paid the application process would proceed as usual per the “Pending Application and or Approved Application email”. This email will be sent to the applicant once the inspection report is accepted. The applicant will then have 48 hours to submit payment for the holding fee equal to one month’s rent and reserve the property for up to 30 days. If the property is reserved with a holding fee and the applicant does not move in within 30 days the holding fee will be forfeited, the application will be canceled and the home will be put back on the market for rent.
- At move in the applicant is required to pay their portion of the monthly rent + the move in administration fee of $100.
- For any property that does NOT have a holding fee equal to one months rent paid in full we will continue to market the property for rent to any other qualified applicants. The property may be leased to subsequent approved applicants who complete the application and holding fee process sooner.
- If the property is leased by another applicant prior to the completion and acceptance of the housing inspection AND before the holding fee is paid the application fees will be refunded. Once the holding fee is paid the application fees are non-refundable.
- Credit score must be at least 700
- No more than one item in collection
- No more than $500 past due debt (medical bills and student loans disregarded)
- No bankruptcies or foreclosures within the past 7 years
- If no guarantor is available, prepayment of all rents and deposits for the entire lease period is required in order to be approved
City of Kalamazoo
- Evictions will be carefully considered based on the amount of time since an actual eviction and the reason for the eviction.
- For Section 8, monthly income must be at least equal to the amount required to pay for utilities.